White Lights or Multi Color Lights?

Do you want white lights and your family wants color lights on your Christmas tree?  Or do you love both and are torn every year which to use?

Christmas Tree Lights Dilemma Solved!

I was surprised this year to learn so many of my friends haven’t been using this trick that I’ve been doing for a few years.  I grew up with multi-color lights on our Christmas tree but as I got older I loved the elegance of the white lights.  A few years ago I started to miss the color lights but didn’t want to forgo the white lights either so…………  I use both color and white lights on my tree!  My tree is pre-lit with white lights so every year I just add a few strands of color lights, this allows me to use the white lights on the tree separate from the color lights.  I usually use the white lights during the day/early evening and switch to the color lights after dinner.

Here is my living room tree with both sets!

2013 Dio Home Improvements Christmas Tour

And here is the same tree with the color lights turned on!

Dio Home Improvements 2013 Christmas Tour

🙂 Now you don’t have to chose just use both!!

Other Christmas DIY projects you may be interested in:

DIY Snowballs

2013ChristmasTourWelcome

DIY Craft Stick Trees

DIY Deer HeadDIY Pipe Cleaner Ornament

Sharing on Inspired by Charm

12 comments for “White Lights or Multi Color Lights?

1. Tiffany
    January 7, 2014 at 12:16 pm

I use white lights with colored ornaments and colored lights with all white ornaments (or sometimes white with white — on a white tree — looks amazing!!)

January 7, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Your tree sounds amazing Tiffany!!

2. Silverchakra
    December 18, 2013 at 1:35 pm

We do this too. I don’t like only white lights so when we got a pre-lit tree the one we wanted only had white lights. So we just added colored lights of our own. Looks great! However, now you don’t even have to do that if you want a pre-lit tree. This year on QVC they had trees that came with a remote to change settings. They have a setting where you can put it on all white, all multi, or both! ‘Bout time! LOL! I don’t remember if the brand was Bethlehem Lights, but it may have been. Having said all that I miss my real trees that we always went and cut down. Alas, some health issues have interfered with that but I’m still hoping we can go back to that! BTW, I LOVE your site with all your clever ideas! Thank you!

December 19, 2013 at 7:44 am

We grew up with real trees too I miss the smell of them the only reason I like the fake is because you can put them up earlier then a real tree! Thank you so much for stopping by, Merry Christmas!

3. Mark
    December 15, 2013 at 10:48 pm

I’ve used clear and colored lights together the past couple of years and really like both types on at the same time. I have a pre-lit clear lights tree, and I wrap the trunk in slow-blinking multi lights and then overlap branches with regular multi’s. It’s pretty stunning (and bright) effect if you’re going for that type of look.

December 15, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Your tree sounds beautiful Mark! Thanks so much for stopping by 🙂

4. December 14, 2013 at 6:24 am

This is a really simple but very clever idea Dria! I think I’ll try it this year.. Have you tried both sets of lights on together. Too much?

December 14, 2013 at 8:56 am

Thank you Christine! I have tried both sets on at once I wasn’t a fan of it!!

5. December 10, 2013 at 7:27 am

So this is an ongoing discussion in our house… and then you throw in the energy-efficient colored lights, which give a whole different look. I love the idea of using both on your tree and then switching them off by time of day. Brilliant!

December 10, 2013 at 8:20 am

😉 Thanks so much! You will use both sets more then you think I didn’t think I’d use the color lights as often as I do when I first started doing this a few years ago. Now rarely does a night go by at night without them on!

6. December 9, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Oh my gosh, I never thought to do this! Clever girl. 🙂 I like white lights usually but every once in awhile colored lights would be pretty too.

December 9, 2013 at 9:05 pm

🙂 you have to do it, trust me you will use the color more then you think!! I use mine every night 🙂