Spooky Hollow Part 2 – DIY Halloween Props

As promised here is part two of how I used to decorate my property with DIY Halloween props.  If you missed part one you can see it here.  These photos were taken a long time ago, sorry for the quality.

Headless Horesman Dio Home Improvements

My favorite prop was the Headless Horseman and his horse Dare Devil!  🙂 That’s my dog Ryker jumping in the shot!  I bought this lifesize fiberglass horse from an antique dealer who was closing down his shop.  This horse came to me in a green patina paint color.

Life Size Horse

I quickly transformed him into Dare Devil.  First up I had to fix one of his ankles, then I painted his whole body black.  After that was painting his nostrils, eyes and the white ghost blaze on his nose. I used a paint that was reflective for his eyes and the eyes of the pumpkin head.

Headless Horseman Dare Devil - Dio Home Improvements

For the headless horseman I used chicken wire for his upper body, his legs were stuffed with paper and old clothes.  I bought real horse stirrups, riding boots and clothing along with a foam pumpkin that I carved out and a big fake ax.  I had movie set lights attached to a nearby tree to highlight this prop.

Headless Horseman - Dio Home Improvements

Another prop I made was Demon Skeleton.  I used a medical grade skeleton on a rolling stand.  The wings were made from parachute material, after cutting the shape of the wings out on two pieces of fabric per wing, I sewed the two pieces together leaving small gaps that I stitched rows into to hold pvc.  The pvc was used to keep the wings rigid.  After inserting the pvc into the parachute wings, I used the same reflective paint and painted the front of the wings so they would reflect light at night.

demon skeleton

Halloween Skeleton Prop - Dio Home Improvements

The creepiest prop we had was Jason from Friday the 13th.  We used chicken wire and wood to form his body.  He was dressed in a mechanic jumper and of course the mask.  These photos were taken with a regular camera (this was long before I had a digital camera) when we got the photo’s developed we noticed a face beside the mask – wicked creeped us out.  Do you see the face?  His victim was staying at “Camp Crystal Lake” 🙂

Friday the 13th Jason with a creepy face beside the mask - Dio Home Improvements

We used cordless lights made by a friend of mine, the lights were attached to stakes so they could be pushed into the ground and angled onto any prop, some lights were black lights as shown in the photo below other lights were regular white lights.

Jason Friday the 13th, Camp Crystal Lake - Dio Home Improvements

You can’t have Jason without having Michael!  Michael’s body was build the same as Jason’s, dressed in a darker jumper and his mask had a flashing light inside of it!

Michael Myers - Dio Home Improvements

Next up is the Graveyard and the Graveyard Digger!

Graveyard with Columns

We built the columns with wood, attached a gargoyle to the top and a lantern to the front we used battery operated candle Christmas window lights inside the columns!  The Fence was made of pvc painted black with real metal finials on the top.

Graveyard Digger

Here is one of the headstones with a battery operated prop light.

Foam Headstone and prop light - Dio Home Improvements

As for the the crypt which I mentioned in part 1   I used a diagram I found online but tweeked it a bit.  The crypt was made from 1 x  4’s and foam board insulation.  The structure was built with hinges on the inside so that it could come apart and lay flat during the off season, the top was attached with hooks so that could come off for easy storage as well.  Once the foam board was put up I drew lines where I wanted the blocks to be, my nephew used a dremel and went over the lines then we painted the structure inside black and the outside a variation of gray’s to look like stone blocks.

crypt2cryptroof

DIY Crypt

Here you can see the crypt and graveyard columns to the left

pumpkinrot johhny appleseed

witch crypt

Of course my dog had his favorite prop 🙂

Dog Dracula

If you missed part one here is a glimpse!

Halloween Props

21 comments for “Spooky Hollow Part 2 – DIY Halloween Props

1. chris aka monkey
    August 27, 2014 at 11:38 am

wow dria you have a halloween heart for sure bet the kids loved you i love halloween too magnificent job xx

August 28, 2014 at 7:23 am

😉 We used to get people from neighboring towns showing up at our house at all hours of the day and night to take their pic with the props the young kids were too afraid to come to our door on Halloween night they would wait by the street and send their parents to the door for their candy LOL!

2. October 25, 2013 at 2:46 pm

The horse is magnificent. Being an equestrian, I can honestly say your horse is majestic. Dig the ghost blaze! That was so creative!

October 25, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Thank you so much Laura I had a lot of fun repainting him!

3. October 25, 2013 at 11:15 am

This is a GREAT piece!! The face on the mask is insane! Thanks for sharing i’m saving these ideas!!

October 25, 2013 at 11:25 am

Thanks so much AmySue!

4. October 24, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Dria! Your like the Halloween goddess! How in the world do you store that giant horse though?! It’s so awesome!

Marie H.

October 24, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Hi Marie, I used to store him in my basement, my last house had sliding glass doors to the basement! I sold him when I moved to my current house! Thanks so much for stopping by 🙂

5. Kristi DeMaria
    October 16, 2013 at 5:37 pm

I love your decorations, especially the horse! I have some bulky Halloween decorations but my husband would probably fall over if I came home with a horse… I seriously would though!

October 16, 2013 at 8:23 pm

LOL I say go for it! I don’t think any Halloween decoration is over the top!! Thank you so much for stopping by!

6. October 15, 2013 at 11:01 am

Wow, your decorations are fabulous!!!! I want to trick or treat your house!!! Happy Halloween!~~Angela

October 15, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Aww Thank you so much Angie!!

7. October 15, 2013 at 10:32 am

Wow! I want to trick or treat at your house! Visiting from Hometalk Tuesday.

October 15, 2013 at 10:41 am

😉 Thank you so much Jeanette for stopping by!!

8. October 15, 2013 at 9:34 am

Your entire set was wicked awesome. The crypt is probably my favorite with a close second bring the house. Actually everything was creative and perfect! I live that you used stuff you can pick up at hardware store, along with unique finds. Who knew pvc was perfect for wings?

The Jason photo is so creepy. Did you take the shot on all hollowed eve?

Great job, as always Dria!

9. October 14, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Dria, OMG I LOVE this and that horse is just fabulous! Such great ideas and I’m so excited I got to see all of this. Thank you SO much for sharing and of course, so pinning to my Halloween board! Have a fantastic week!

October 15, 2013 at 7:41 am

😉 Thank you so much Cindy! I used to really love decorating scary for Halloween!!

10. Brynne@The Gathered Home
    October 14, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Wow! I can’t believe how much detail & work you put into those props – they are amazing! (Have you shared this with Stephanie at Brooklyn Limestone? She is a Halloween fanatic and always features Halloween ideas & props & stuff!)

October 14, 2013 at 1:56 pm

😉 Thanks Brynne! I haven’t shared this with Stephanie but I should!

11. October 14, 2013 at 10:51 am

Hi Dria..I came over to visit your blog from hometalk. Love all your Halloween ideas…how much fun you must be!
    Debbie

October 14, 2013 at 10:54 am

Aww 😉 Thank you so much Debbie!! Your silver and white pumpkins on HT are To Die for love them so much!