Recycling Organization

Recycling Organization

Welcome to the Organize your life and home tour!  Be sure to check out what my amazing blogger friends have done at the end of this post!

Our city requires households to recycle which is fine and all, but one of my biggest pet peeves is clutter of any kind especially on my kitchen counters.  Most days I would try to remember to grab the bag of recycling on my way to the garage so I could toss it in the bin on my way to work, but sometimes I would forget.  I used to get so annoyed seeing the bag of recycling sitting on the floor with more recycling sitting on my counter.  A few weeks ago my best friend and I went to Lowes, while I was there I wanted to price out some material to build my own pull out recycling box.  My idea was to use one of the lower kitchen cabinets and build a box that I could put on tracks to contain the recycling that would easily pull out.  When I saw this Rev A Shelf trash barrel kit on sale for $19.00 I couldn’t pass it up, Amazon has this same kit priced at $47.00 Rev-A-Shelf RV-9PB 30 Qt Pull-Out Waste Container, White
.  The $19.00 I paid was far cheaper then it would have cost me to build my own pull out system.  So I bought it!  As soon as I got home I installed it.  It took me less than 5 minutes from box to being fulling installed.  I swear this has been one of the best purchases I have ever made, I am no longer aggravated seeing recycling on the floor and counter!  This is such an easy recycling organization project!

Here is how my recycling used to look

Recycling Clutter

Recycling Organization

Recycling Organization

After: Recycling Roll Out

Recycling Roll out

I can fit about 4 to 5 bags of recycling in the white trash can that came in the kit.  I only have to empty this once a week now instead of bringing bags of recycling down to the garage daily or every other day!

The contents of that cabinet were moved to the refrigerator surround that I built last year. So I didn’t lose any storage space by putting my recycling in that base cabinet.

Recycling Organization

Don’t forget to check out the links below to see some great organizing tips from some of my blogger friends!

Organize your home and life

14 comments for “Recycling Organization

1. February 12, 2015 at 4:08 am

Fabulous work Dria. But don’t you think putting something which we can press (near the door) and door opens(more like a foot dustbin). It can be more appealing.

2. Mary Beth @ Cupcakes and Crinoline
    February 2, 2015 at 8:42 pm

This is such a great idea, Dria! My problem with recycling is that I tend to take stuff OUT of the bins and save it for a craft or something…I think I need an intervention.

3. January 30, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Great idea, Dria

4. January 30, 2015 at 8:45 am

Love the easy, awesome fix you found to such an annoyance. I love our pull out trash & recycling bin. We didn’t have this in our old house but now I can’t imagine living without it.
    Happy recycling!

5. January 27, 2015 at 9:06 pm

Dria, what a great use of space. You made it look so easy!

6. January 27, 2015 at 8:58 pm

What an awesome solution! You must feel so much better now! I totally understand about how the recycling can just pile up. Mine definitely does too!

7. January 27, 2015 at 10:20 am

Love this idea. Our trash can is concealed like this one but not the recycling bin. Gonna have to do that now!

8. January 27, 2015 at 9:00 am

Wow! Love this project! Wish I had the space for one of these. We’ve gone through many different types of recyle “systems” and I’ve yet to find one I like! Thanks for sharing how easy it was to install too!

9. January 27, 2015 at 6:52 am

This is such a great idea!!! It’s great to make recycling convenient so more people will do it!

10. January 27, 2015 at 6:17 am

What a handy spot for keeping your recycled material. I love that it is hidden and still handy.

I wish my town had curb side recycling. We have bins around town to use but have to take it ourselves.

11. January 26, 2015 at 11:32 pm

What a great idea, Dria! We keep a large cardboard box on the pantry floor for our recycling, and I keep thinking I need to replace our current system with something else. Pinning 🙂

12. theseanamethod
    January 26, 2015 at 12:29 pm

I love this project. It’s great to hear that it was so easy to install:) I see the “pile up” of recyclables on the counters of a couple of my clients. I’m always encouraging them to consider a better system, one that gets the bottles off the counter, but still into the recycle bin. Countertop space is just too valuable!!

13. January 26, 2015 at 10:12 am

I love this idea, we need a much better solution for this in our home. Thanks for the top. Sharing!

14. christykjames
    January 26, 2015 at 9:22 am

I’ve always wanted to hide my trash and recycling inside my cabinets, but just can’t afford to lose that storage space. Glad to see how easy it is to do though, just in case! XO